10 Tips for Controlling Your Anger
1. Express your anger: Expressing how you feel by having a mature dialogue with the person(s).Maintaining a calm voice but being honest about how you feel may help relieve stress and could possibly be the solution to the problem.
2. Focus: Stop for 30 seconds to think beyond your own anger and think how your negative actions will affect your loved ones. Some rushed decisions we cannot come back from!
3. Stop Talking: How important is the last word if it will not resolve the problem? When you are angry, angry words will be spoken.
4. Laugh! Laughter has always been the best medicine. The quick moment of laughter can provide time to remove yourself from the situation or respond calmer.
5. Practice gratitude! Take a quick moment to think about what you are grateful for. Focus on what is going on right despite what is going wrong.
6. Write a letter or journal your thoughts! What you cant say, write it down! Write a letter to the person you are angry with or experiencing issues with. Sometimes expressing our emotions in some form is all we want.
7. Change your routine! New physical and mental routines can help alleviate frustrations.
8. Find your creative juices! Painting, poetry, music, cooking, and gardening are some hobbies to consider.
9. Count up or down!
10. Breath! Practice breathing slowly, which will help the fight or flight response system calm down. The body reacts to our reactions!